Fall brings with it new back-to-school routines, cooler temperatures and pumpkin everything. It also brings certain seasonal hazards that can
potentially put pets at risk. For a festive, fun and
healthy fall, just follow these simple tips.
A BETTER MOUSE TRAP
Colder temperatures drive rodents to search for
shelter within the warmth of homes. Rodenticides
(poisons that kill mice, rats, etc.) help deter vermin infestations,
but ingestion of such poisons can cause life-threatening toxicity
to pets. Instead of personally dispersing commercial-available
poisons, hire a professional service to address rodent-prevention
needs. If it is suspected or known that a pet has ingested or
absorbed a rodenticide, immediately contact a veterinarian or
emergency veterinary hospital. For more information, call the
ASPCA’s Poison Control Center at (888) 426-4435 or the Pet
Poison Helpline at (800) 213-6680.
MUM’S THE WORD
Chrysanthemums are synonymous with fall. But the
flowers, stems and leaves of this blooming perennial
are toxic to our four-legged comrades. Ingestion can cause
salivation, vomiting, diarrhea, stumbling and skin irritation. Meadow
Saffron/Autumn Crocus and Clematis also harbor noxious potential.
A WALK ON THE DARK SIDE
Shorter days mean darker conditions; so use extra
caution while walking the dog during the fall and
winter months. Reduced visibility can pose a challenge for
drivers who may not be able to easily see animals and humans
on sidewalks and roads. Always maintain control using an
appropriate leash, collar or harness, and make sure ID tags have
up-to-date information. Take along a flashlight and consider
purchasing reflective gear for added safety.
LEAF IT ALONE
Fall means cleaning up and preparing the home
for the coming winter. When working in the yard,
accumulate moisture, promoting the growth of bacteria and
mold. Ingestion or inhalation of these microorganisms can
cause stomach upset or other ailments like breathing problems
and even kidney and liver failure. Burning dried leaves and other
plant material releases smoke and plant-based oils like poison
ivy that can irritate eyes, nose, throat, lungs and skin. In addition,
loud or unexpected noises created by leaf blowers may cause a
pet to flee.
Cardiff swears it was not him;
ƹƵǞ;.GCTPKPI;VQ;leaf it alone.
Fall into a new season
with easy to remember
BY DR. PATRICK MAHANEY DVM
HAMPTONS PE T ſ;;;^;(#..;;;;;